lørdag 20. desember 2008

Big, unfinished project

Cuff for national costume shirt
I want to share with you my biggest ongoing project. I have worked on this since 2004, and its embarrassing that it is not finished yet. It is an order from my mother, she wants me to make new embroidery on the shirt for her national costume (called bunad in Norway). That is the collar and cuffs. Her eyes aren't good enough to do it, but we have this "agreement" that I embroider and she sews. Earlier I have made my own and my brother's shirt.

Cuff for national costume shirt
The collar is embroidered with linen thread on linen fabric. As you can see, the pattern is full of details. Please, pay particular attention to the holes. They are the reason it is taking me so long time. They are so tiny! They reach over 4x4 threads and through two layers of fabric, so I have to be careful to hit the right spot on the backside. In addition it is a very nice fabric where the threads are woven very close to each other. I have to wear some reading glasses (+3!) while I embroider because else I cannot see.

I use 1 hour on 4 holes. Last I counted, I had something like 400 holes left. Now my mother is pushing me to finish it before 2010. Hopefully this is the kind of pressure I need to finish it. Do you have any projects like this that is lying around for years?

6 kommentarer:

floresita sa...

Wow, this is amazing - I can only imagine how long it takes you to embroider this way... you are truly talented! Thank you for sharing your traditions on the Feeling Stitchy blog, and have a great holiday!

Bethany sa...

Very impressive, getting it done in four years is pretty amazing to me, not anything to be embarrassed about. :)

pegsplace sa...

Hi Marteks,
I've come over from the Feeling Stitchy blog....pleased to make your acquaintance and WOW! You sure do beautifl and intricate work! And yes, I have quite a few big projects that are waiting to be finished! :)...I've been trying to explain to my husband the idea behing WIPs...he doesn't understand the concept! ;)...I have been dabbling in embroidery and I love it. I am still a beginner, so I will be back to learn more from you!

I will be back to visit!
Later
Peggy

Brandy sa...

Beautiful work! I am amazed that you are doing this all by hand, it looks so professional. Happy Holidays!

AnneB sa...

Don't worry Marte, you'll make it! 2010 is a looong time to – at the moment ;-)

Kos deg i jula!

Guri sa...

Nydelige broderier! Som Anne sier, 2010 er langt unna, så jeg ønsker deg ett godt nytt år, håper du får brodert masse i 2009!